Beetroot is also known as the table beet, garden beet, red beet. Other than salads it is widely used in pickles and beet soups. Beetroot is a very health root vegetable. It is widely known for its use in keeping cardiovascular health. Its juice helps to lower blood pressure. Betanin obtained from Beet is used as a food colorant.
Cheers to good health and start adding this tasty salad often in your meals.
Beetroot – 2 medium sized
Plain unsweetened Yoghurt (Dahi) – ½ cup
Salt – to taste
For tempering –
Butter/ ghee – 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Green chilies (chopped) – 2
- Wash the beetroot and boil it in pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- Peel the boiled beetroots and grate them with a grater.
- In a bowl mix the grated beetroot, yoghurt and salt together.
- In a pan heat the ghee and add the cumin seeds. Once they crackle add the green chilies.
- Pour this over the beetroot and yoghurt mixture.
- Serve with rotis or rice.
You can skip the yoghurt and just add tempering to chopped boiled beetroots. (Cube shaped) This could become a beetroot veggie.