I started a busy weekday today. Lot of work to be done. Had no clue what to prepare for breakfast. Took a strategic timeout (IPL fever..what to do ;)) Gave a push to my brain cells. I had besan in my kitchen. We generally prepare marathi style pancakes with besan and rice flour. So tried this combination using potato topping. Within minutes this tasty dish was ready. Had a great morning with tummy full.
So try this and hope you all like it.
Sending this entry to the Pancakes event by Priya and also to the JFI- Breakfast event hosted by Suma and thanks to Indira for starting this Jihva event.
Besan / Chickpea Flour – ¾ cup
Ginger-garlic chili paste – ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch
Fruit Salt / Soda bicarb – ½ teaspoon
Sugar – ¼ teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 -3 teaspoon
Boiled Potato – 1 medium sized
Chaat masala – ¼ teaspoon
Chopped Coriander – 2 teaspoons
- Combine the besan, ginger garlic and chili paste, sugar, salt and asafetida. Add enough water to make a thick batter. Add the fruit salt or soda bi – carb and mix gently.
- Peel and mash the boiled potato. Add the chaat masala and chopped coriander and mix well.
- Heat a non stick tava, pour a ladleful of batter and spread it evenly to make a thin pancake.
- Sprinkle a little topping mixture and cook over a medium flame. Pour a little oil. Cook on both sides.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
You may use moong dal flour instead of besan flour along with some rice flour also.
Try making different toppings of your choice using colorful veggies.
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!! A special day for everyone who is in love. I don’t believe it has to be people who are engaged or married, but friends, family, pets anyone whom you love a lot. Well on another note, I don’t think we actually need a day to share our love and to express it as well. Confused me
Browsing through my recipe collection I dropped into the cake section (which I always do ;)) and saw this awesome cake. No butter no milk……wow that’s something I need to try. It did come out really nice. Cocoa and coffee give an awesome flavor and aroma to the cake and trust me the moment it’s bakes you can’t keep your hands, fingers, off it.
Give this wonderful cake a try and sureeeee you can’t get enough of it. This is my cake for all my blogger friends whom I love a lot…my valentines!!!!!
This cake goes to the Hearts for St. Valentine’s Day event started by Priya.
Refined Flour / Maida – 1 ¾ cups
Sugar – 1 ½ cups
Baking Soda – 2 teaspoons
Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
Cocoa Powder – ¾ cup
Eggs (at room temperature) – 2
Vanilla Essence – 1teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Vegetable Oil (odourless) – ½ cup
Instant coffee powder – 2 teaspoons
Boiling Water – ¾ cup
- Prepare a 12 inch baking tin by base lining with a parchment paper. Pre heat oven on 180 degree centigrade.
- In a large mixing bowl sift in refined flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt together twice and keep aside.
- Mix the coffee in the boiling water.
- In another bowl beat the eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, sugar and vanilla essence together. Mix until the sugar melts.
- Add the refined flour mixture to it and fold well. The batter will be bit thin.
- Transfer this batter to the prepared tin and place it in the centre rack position of the oven and bake it for 35 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool it for 10 minutes before transferring it to the wire rack. Cool completely.
- You may frost it, garnish it with some white chocolate or eat as is.
I used sunflower oil here. You may use any other oil.
Sometimes the cake is baked on top and not in the bottom. That time put off the top coils and let the bottom bake by keeping the bottom coils on.
I have created those hearts with whipped cream and garnished some grated white chocolate.
For a long time I wanted to prepare a cake in a pressure cooker than in an oven, only to try how it comes out. Today it’s a simple day, not any special occasion and ample time. I decided to prepare a simple pressure cooked cake. We generally have parle glucose biscuits in store ;). So I planned to make Parle G cake.
This is my first try, so it could be that there could be additions or subtraction to it as per your need.
Enjoy this simple cake made in a pressure cooker, especially made for people who do not have ovens but love to eat cakes.
Parle G biscuits (powdered) – 2 cups
Grounded sugar – 1 ½ cups
Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
Milk – 1 ½ cups
Dry fruits – of your choice
- In a bowl mix the powdered biscuits, powdered sugar, and baking powder together.
- Add milk and vanilla essence and whisk it properly for 2 minutes are so.
- Transfer the batter to an 8 inch round baking tin.
- Garnish with desired dry fruits.
- Take a pressure cooker, remove the gasket (ring) and place the prepared tin in the cooker. Cover the cooker lid with the weight/ whistle on.
- Bake the cake in the cooker, initially on high flame for 5 minutes and later on medium flame for 15 minutes. Check once by opening the lid. If a skewer inserted comes out clean the cake is done.
- For the cake to bake from the top, turn off the gas for some time so that the steam inside the cooker helps the top side of the cake to bake.
- Remove it out and let it cool completely.
Change the quantity of powdered sugar according to preference. This in turn will change the quantity of milk to be added.
See to it that the cake batter becomes smooth and not runny. Add the milk according.
Do not add a very generous amount of baking powder, it should be mean.
Quantity of dry fruits may vary according to the taste.
Do not keep any water in the pressure cooker. See to it that you remove the gasket.
This recipe goes to Christmas Cakes and cookies events started by Saraswathi of Sara’s Corner along with the below mentioned reposts.
Here are the entries for the MLLA – 18 (My Legume Love Affair) hosted by Srivalli of Cooking for all reasons and started by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook.
3 entries are for EC ‘s the WYC -Tea time Snack event
This is my entry to the FIL – Fruits event hosted by Sanghi of Food Delights!!