Vatli Dal or Limbu Dal is mainly prepared during Ganesh festival. After immersion of the idol of Ganesha, it is prepared as a prasad to bid him farewell. It is a very quick snack to make. Go ahead and try this very tasty dish made from chick peas.
Serves – 3
Chana Dal (chick pea) – 2 cups
Green chilies (chopped) – 4 medium sized
Curry leaves – 6 – 7
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida – ½ teaspoon
Oil – 3 tablespoons
Sugar – 2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Ginger (grated) – 1 ½ teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon.
Coriander springs (finely chopped) – to garnish
Freshly desiccated coconut – to garnish
- Soak the chana dal in water for 2 hours. After 2 hours grind this dal very finely in the grinder. Add little water to grind it well.
- In a thick bottomed pan or a kadhai heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Now add the turmeric powder, asafoetida, green chilies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Now add the grounded dal. Add the salt and sugar and sauté on medium flame till the dal completely dries up and there are no lumps left.
- Now add the lemon juice and mix well and sauté for another minute.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and freshly desiccated coconut and serve hot.
You can also grind the green chilies along with the dal.
Lemon is the most important ingredients so do not forget that!!!