As mentioned in the Vegetable Pulav post, this is the second recipe to the rice series.
I had been to my brother’s place and Ketaki (sister-in-law) had prepared this for all of us. She is a very good cook herself and keeps trying various recipes, especially for my beloved nephew Bhargav and my brother Devdatt. This recipe came as a great change from the typical rice preparations we generally have and till date remains as one of my favourites.
The best part of this dish is that it’s fast and simple to make. It doesn’t require any fancy items and I find it totally fuss-free, especially when you have a toddler around, who keeps you busy round the clock. I feel dishes like these help you keep up with the hobby of cooking as well as gives you enough time to be with your baby.
Thanks a lot Ketaki for sharing this. I hope you guys love it. Give it a try and enjoy it as much as all my family does including my two year old nephew Bhargav, who loves to eat boiled corn .
Onion (big) – sliced thinly
Tomato Ketchup – 4 tablespoons
Cumin Seeds (Jeers) – 1 teaspoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Biryani masala – ½ teaspoon
Dried red chillies – 2
Boiled corn – 1 ½ cups
Red chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
Salt – to taste
For the rice:
Basmati Rice (uncooked) – 1 cup
Water – 1 ½ cups
- First cook the rice in a pressure cooker by mixing the ingredients mentioned under “For the rice”. Cook it for 3 whistles.
- In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds.
- Once they splutter add sliced onion and dried chillies and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the tomato ketchup, salt, and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Now add the boiled corn and the cooked rice. And mix gently.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes and finally add biryani masala and mix well.
- Serve hot.
You may also add khada masala in case readymade biryani masala is not available.