“Beta, meine tumhare liye, gajar ka halwa banaya hien” (well, I can’t translate this, such a funny never ending statement). This is one of the most used dialogues in almost all old hindi film. I always wonder why all the filmy moms love to prepare this for their long lost or exams passed pappus.
It’s such a quick and an easy one to prepare that anyone can make it within no time, be it filmy moms and our real ones. This is a sweet dish which is very common in India. It is prepared from ingredients which are easily available in our kitchen. Well now I know why this is a common preparation.
So, everyone “meine tumhare liye gajar ka halwa banaya hein ;)”(Everyone, I have prepared gajar ka halwa for you). Enjoy this delectable dessert and let me know if you have ever prepared this for your loved ones and said that famous dialogue yourself.
Carrot (grated) – 2 cups
Sugar – ½ cup
Milk – ½ cup
Fresh Cream/ Malai – ¼ cup
Clarified butter/ Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Cardamom Powder – 1 teaspoon
Cashew nuts and almonds –to garnish
- In a pan heat the butter. Add the grated carrot and sauté for 4-5 minutes on low flame till the natural raw smell of carrot is vanished.
- Add the milk, malai, cashew nuts, almonds and sugar and sauté well.
- Cook on low flame by stirring in between till the halwa is cooked in the milk.
- Once all the milk is absorbed by the halwa that mean s the halwa is almost done.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well. Sauté for a minute more and tehn turn off the gas.
- Let it cool and garnish with shriveled almonds.
Add dry fruits like dried raisins, pistachio, etc. according to your preference.
You may also use condensed milk to make this. Then reduce the milk and sugar quantity accordingly.