Another great Indian rice recipe. Very easy to prepare unlike biryani or pulav. Mainly prepared in the North of India as regular rice in everyday meal. This rice gives a very nice aroma of cumin seeds. Generally made using basmati or long grain rice.
Serves – 2 -3
Basmati Rice- 1 cup
Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 ½ teaspoon
Butter / ghee – 1 tablespoon
Water – 1 ¾ cup
Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for ½ an hour in water. Now remove the excess water and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- In a pressure cooker or pressure pan heat the ghee and add the cumin seeds. Let it splutter and now add the basmati rice and sauté well.
- Add the water and salt and mix well.
- Once the water starts boiling cover the lid and cook for 2 whistles.
- Remove the lid and stir gently so that the cumin seeds are mixed well.
- Serve hot with Indian dal with tadka.
You can also use oil instead of ghee or butter.
You can use any type of rice. Basmati will only add its own flavor.