Matki is a type sprout. Sprouts are has a very high nutritional value and should be part of our meal often. Matkichi Usal (Moth gram vegetable) is a very famous maharashtrian recipe. It’s a great change from the usual vegetables that we tend to eat everyday.
Serves – 4
Matki – 2 cup
Curry Leaves – 5- 6
Oil – 3 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) – ½ teaspoon
Red chili powder – 1 ½ teaspoon
Goda masala – 2 teaspoon
Jaggery (crushed) – 2 ½ tablespoon
Coconut (freshly desiccated) – 3 tablespoons
Fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped) – 3 tablespoons
- Properly pick, wash and soak matki overnight in 6 cups of water in a vessel. Drain the water and cover the matki till it germinates.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add the curry leaves, turmeric powder, and asafoetida.
- Add the matki in the above pan and mix well. Add the goda masala, jaggery, red chili powder and salt and stir well.
- Add enough water to just cover the matki mixture.
- Bring it to a boil and continue cooking on medium heat, stirring occasionally till matki is properly cooked.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and desiccated coconut and serve hot.
You can also add chopped onions before adding drained matki for a different flavor.