One of the most beloved dishes of India. Being very simple and non spicy it becomes a common recipe found in many households. Moong being easy to digest makes it a preferred dish especially for children, the old and when you are not in the pink of your health.
There are various alternatives to this recipe, this one being the most simple of them all and is very easy to cook. It also gives one a change from eating the everyday meal.
Moong dal (green split beans) – 1 cup
Rice – 1 cup
Sproted moong – ½ cup
Salt- to taste
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon sticks- 2
Water – 4 ½ cups
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Mix the rice and moong dal together. Wash and drain the excess water.
- In a pressure pan or pressure cooker add the moong dal and rice mixture and pour the water.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, sprouted moong, sugar and salt.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and cook the khichadi for 2 whistles.
- Serve hot with kadhi or pickles or just like that.
You can also cook the khichadi in an open pot. This will take more time and additional water.
How to sprout moong - Properly pick, wash and soak moong overnight in 2 cups of water in a vessel. Drain the water and cover the moong till it germinates. You can also add mashed vegetables like carrot, potato, pumpkin, etc.