This dish originates from the south of India. It’s a very common breakfast or snack item found in many houses and South Indian eateries. It a very stomach filling dish generally consumed with sambhar and chutney. There are varieties of Fusion Uttapa recipes widely available everywhere, but this one is the most favorite and consistent of them all.
Hope you like it!!
Rice – 2 ¾ cups
Urad dal (dehusked) – 1 cup
Cooked rice (optional) – ¼ cup
Onion (finely chopped) – 2 medium sized
Green chilies (finely chopped) – 2 tablespoons
Salt – to taste
Oil – to grease/ sprinkle.
- Soak rice and urad dal separately for 6 hours.
- After that grind both together by adding water in between to make a smooth paste/batter along with the rice.
- Transfer the mixture in a bowl, keep it in a warm place and let it ferment. The time to ferment will depend upon the temperature of the place. It should take approximately 7- 8 hours in normal conditions.
- Once the batter is fermented properly add the salt and mix well. The batter should be very smooth and a pan cake batter consistency.
- Heat a non-stick tava or skillet and take a ladle full and spread it in circular motion to make it like a pan cake.
- Sprinkle chopped onions and chopped chili. Pour some drops of oil around the uttapa.
- Flip it once done from one side and cook the other side too.
- Serve hot with coconut coriander chutney .
You may spread a little butter while serving to make Butter Onion Uttapa.
Try adding grated carrot, shallots and grated coriander for an enhanced taste.
Let me know what you think about this recipe. Do comment.