Gudhi Padwa marks the beginning of Maharashtrian and Kannada New Year. A typical Gudhi Padwa lunch would consist of authentic, Maharashtrain traditional food, which is absolutely mouth-watering. After you devour it, an afternoon nap is inevitable.
But this time I was neck-deep in work and anyway both of us wanted to eat something different. So I decided to cook some roasted vegetable pasta and some nachos as starters.
We usually stock all the exotic vegetables as we use it often. Due to the time crunch Girish volunteered to wash and chop all the vegetables. He even cooked the pasta. So like a Head-chef, I just had to walk in, mix, stir and plate. This is how our Gudhi Padwa main course Spaghetti with Roasted vegetables looked like.
Spaghetti Pasta – 200 gms
Black olives(sliced) – 1/2 cup
Zucchini (diced) – 1 cup
Red, Green and yellow bell peppers (diced) – 1 cup
Mushrooms (diced) – 1 cup
Baby corn (cut lengthwise) – 1 cup
Salt –to taste
Oregano – 1 teaspoon
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
For the Marinara sauce:
Onion (finely chopped) – 1 large
Garlic cloves (minced) – 3-4
Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 2 big
Tomato puree – 4-5 tablespoons
Basil – ½ teaspoon
Oregano – ½ teaspoon
Chili Flakes – 1 teaspoon
Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt- to taste
Sugar – ½ teaspoon
- Cook the spaghetti to ‘al dente’ and drain and allow it to dry
- In a pan add minced garlic and onion and then add olive oil to it.
- Sauté the onion and garlic till it is tender.
- Add tomato, sugar and salt.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked add the tomato puree.
- Now at last add the herbs by crushing them. Mix well and turn off the gas.
- In a baking dish add all the ingredients mentioned under ‘for roasting’ one after another.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degree Celsius and then place the dish in the oven for about 30 -35 mins. Stir in between.
Assembling the final dish:
- Add the spaghetti to the marinara sauce and coat well.
- Tip in the roasted vegetables from the oven along with the sliced black olives and mix well. Serve hot.
- You may use any vegetable, odorless oil instead of olive oil.
- You may garnish the pasta with some parmesan cheese.
- Lastly you may use pasta of any shape you like.