Aloo Methi is a spicy and tasty vegetable mainly known for its amazing aroma. It is made from Potato (Aloo) and Fenugreek leaves (Methi). Methi is a herb which has many medicinal properties as well so include this in your meals whenever possible.
Fenugreek leaves (Methi) – 1 bunch
Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium sized
Tomato (finely chopped) – 1 medium sized
Potatoes (Peeled and cut in to cubes) – 3 medium sized
Garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped) – 4
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder (haldi) – ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida (hing) – ½ teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 ½ teaspoons
Salt – to taste
- Pick and wash the fenugreek leaves under running water twice or thrice.
- Finely chop them and keep aside.
- In a pan or a kadhai heat oil. Add the mustard seeds, let them crackle.
- Then add the chopped garlic, turmeric, asafoetida along with the chopped onion. Sauté till onions become translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and potatoes and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid until the potatoes are almost cooked. This will take approximately 7- 8 minutes.
- Now add the chopped fenugreek leaves, salt and red chili powder. Mix well.
- Cover with lid again and cook for more 3- 4 minutes or till the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Serve hot with rotis or chappatis.
Always wash green vegetables before chopping them so that the nutrients are not lost.
People with acidity problems should consume Methi in controlled quatity.