To follow up my earlier post here I am with a new recipe which is very easy to prepare. Italian food has always been my favourite. When you think of Italian cuisine, two things come to our mind. Pizza and pasta, out of which pasta has always been my favourite. It’s comforting and there are loads of options in which pasta can be prepared. Also it comes in variety of shapes, which many a times makes it more interesting ;). Pesto sauce and pasta is a match made in Italian kitchens (and they are heavenly). No two thoughts about it!!
We are chefs and cooking is what we love, so happy Valentine’s Day guys!!
This is my take on one of the most loved combinations on this day of love.
Pasta (any shape) – 200 gms
Parmesan cheese (grated) – to garnish
Pesto Sauce Ingredients:
Basil leaves – ¼ cup
Pepper powder – ½ teaspoon
Olive oil- 2 tablespoon
Garlic cloves – 5
Pine nuts – 2 tablespoons
Parmesan cheese – 2-3 tablespoon
Water – ¼ cup
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet.
- Finely grind all the ingredients mentioned under the pesto sauce ingredients using a mixer.
- Gently rub this pesto sauce to the cooked pasta so that it coats the pasta.
- In a big vessel heat 2 teaspoons of butter and gently sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese.
- Use walnuts if pine nuts are not easily available.
- You may use any flavourless vegetable oil instead of olive oil.
- Although parmesan is a vital ingredient in the pesto sauce, you may substitute it by using 2-3 tablespoons of cheese spread.
Another amazing Pasta recipe. Quick to prepare and amazingly tasty. This is a very Indian styled pasta. Spicy and tasty due to the spices added in it.
Onions (coarsely chopped) – 2 medium sized
Tomatoes (coarsely chopped) – 2 medium sized
Capsicum (chopped) – 1 small size
Garlic (chopped) – 3- 4 cloves
Tomato ketchup – 1 cup
Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
Green chilies (finely chopped) – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds (coarsely grounded) – 1 teaspoon
Pepper powder – 1 tablespoon
Basil leaves (finely chopped) – 2 -3
Salt – to taste
Penne Pasta packet – 100 gms
- In a pan of boiling water lower the penne pasta and cook for the required time (10 minutes approximately) till al- dente. Al- dente is firm to the tooth and not too soggy.
- Add oil and salt to it. Drain the excess water using a colander and run cold water over it and apply a tablespoon of cooking oil gently to the pasta so that it doesn’t stick to each other.
- In another pan heat the oil, add chopped onions, chopped garlic and sauté for a while.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped capsicum, chopped basil leaves, green chilies, grounded cumin seeds, pepper powder, salt and sauté for sometime. Now add the tomato ketchup and cook until the tomatoes are soft and the capsicum is cooked.
- Now while serving place the penne pasta in a plate or bowl and pour the sauce over it.
You may use spaghetti instead of Penne or any other shape of pasta of your choice.
Bread mini Pizzas are an excellent substitute for Pizzas. A more simplified and easy to make this turns out to be a great breakfast or snack. A very popular dish among the children.
Enjoy this tasty snack.
Serves – 2 – 3
Bread slices – 8
Pizza sauce – 6 tbspns
Onion (finely chopped) – 2 medium sized
Capsicum (finely chopped) – 1 medium sized
Sweet corn kernels (boiled) – ½ cup
Butter – 2 tbspns
Salt – ¼ tspn
Mozzarella cheese (grated) – 100 gms
- In a pan heat the butter, lightly sauté onion, capsicum, sweet corn kernels and salt for 4 -5 minutes. This will be our topping
- Spread the pizza sauce on the bread slices. Now spread the topping over these slices.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese.
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees. Now place these bread slices in the oven in the centre rack for 7 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- Serve hot with ketchup.
You can also use different types of other toppings made of carrots, beet root, and butter sautéed mushrooms. This will make the pizza look more colorful and desirable especially for children.
Any type of processed cheese can be used instead of Mozzarella.
Pizza Sauce is a very important ingredient in pizza making. There are many varieties of pizza sauces available in the market. Pizza sauce gives the pizza a unifying flavor and taste.
Here is my recipe for this ingredient without which even the best pizzas are never complete.
Red tomatoes – 8 large sized
Oil – 2 tbspns
Butter – 50 gms
Garlic paste – 1 tbspn
Dried red chili flakes – 2 tbspns
Green chili paste – 1 tbspn
Onion (finely chopped) – ½ cup
Tomato ketchup – ½ cup
Salt- 1 tspn
Oregano – 2 tspns
Red chili powder – ½ tspn
Granulated sugar – 2 tbspns
- Boil the tomatoes in a pan till the skin cracks. After they are cooled peel and deseed the tomatoes. Grind them to a puree.
- In a non-stick pan/ sauce pan, boil this puree for 7- 8 minutes.
- In another pan heat oil, butter together.
- Add the garlic paste, chili flakes, green chili paste, and onion. Sauté it well for 4- 5 minutes.
- Add the above mentioned tomato puree and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomato ketchup, salt, oregano, red chili powder, and granulated sugar. Cook for 3- 4 minutes.
- Use this sauce on pizza base or for making bread mini pizzas.
This sauce can be stored in freezer for 2 months if stored in an air- tight jar.
It can be eaten as a bread spread like butter or cheese.
Pasta originated in Italy. There are approximately 3,500 various shapes in which pasta is available (I wish I get all of them ;)). In Italy, their food course generally begins with a filling dish called Primo which mainly consists of Pasta which is rich in carbohydrates.
Enjoy this one meal dish and have a happy weekend !!
Serves – 2 – 3
Fusilli – 200 gms
Tomato puree – 1 cup
Tomato ketchup – 1 cup
Onion (diced) – 2 medium size
Capsicum (sliced) – 1 large
Butter – 2 tbspns
Garlic (finely chopped) – 3 cloves
Oregano – 2 tbspns
Chili flakes – 3 tbspns
Oil – 2 tspns
Grated cheese – for garnishing
Salt – as per taste
- Cook fusilli in 8 cups of boiling water. Add a little salt. The fusilli should not be over cooked.
- After the fusilli is cooked, drain the excess water and run it under cold water. Pour oil over the fusilli, mix well. Keep it aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat the butter. Add garlic and onion and sauté till onion becomes transparent.
- Add the capsicum, tomato puree, ketchup, salt and cook for 3-4 minutes with lid on.
- Add oregano, chili flakes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add fusilli and toss gently.
- Cook for another minute.
- Serve hot with grated cheese.
You can also add corn kernels, olives and mushrooms to fusilli for extra taste.
Always pour oil over fusilli after running it under cold water so that it does not become sticky.