Cabbage would be one of the most loved vegetable all over the world. Very healthy and easily available it is often included in meals. This is a typical maharashtrian recipe of a cabbage veggie (sabggies). Chick pea is also a constituent in this recipe, it gives a nice taste and flavor to this beloved sabggies of mine.
Cabbage – 1 medium sized
Chick pea split (chana dal) – ¼ cup
Jaggery crushed – 1tablespoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder (haldi) – ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) – ½ teaspoon
Curry leaves – 6- 7
Green chilies (chopped) – 3- 4
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Freshly desiccated coconut – 2-3 tablespoons to garnish
Coriander springs (chopped) – 2 tablespoons to garnish
- Properly wash and chop the cabbage.
- Wash and soak the chana dal in 1 cup water for 1 hour. After 1 hour drain the excess water and keep the dal aside.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida, green chilies, curry leaves and the chana dal. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add the chopped cabbage, jaggery, salt and mix well.
- Cook the cabbage with lid on for 7- 8 minutes or till soft on medium flame. Stir in between.
- Garnish with coconut and coriander. Serve hot with chapattis or rotis.
You may also use 1 teaspoon sugar instead of jaggery, if not easily available.