The red, yummy, and desirable fruit —————– Strawberry. I cant get enough of it!! There are so many delicious and lovely recipes you can make with this. In India, the general season for fresh strawberries is the winter season. How could I be left behind from making a lovely dish out of this fruit? I had plans to do a lot of things but specially today evening I had to do something nice. So I decided to make these delectable goodies. These turned out excellent. The flavor of strawberry gave the cookie a terrific taste, which I am cherishing while I write this post.
So enjoy and give this a try this winter!!
Wheat Flour – 1 ¼ cup
Baking Powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt- ½ teaspoon
Strawberries (chopped and mashed) – 1 cup
Brown Sugar- 6 tablespoon
White Sugar- 3 tablespoon
Unsalted butter (softened) -100 gms
Milk – ¼ cup
- Sieve together the flour, salt and baking powder 2-3 times. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl mix together the butter, brown sugar, white sugar and with a hand mixer until soft and creamy. Beat till the sugar is properly dissolved.
- Add the flour mixture and milk gradually till it forms a batter and take care no lumps are formed.
- Add the mashed strawberries in to the batter and mix well with a spatula.
- Pre-heat oven to 180° Centigrade.
- On a non greased cookie sheet or an oven tray evenly place small amount of this mixture with the help of a spoon. Press gently so it forms a cookie shape. Take care that enough space is left between each cookie.
- Place the tray in the middle and set the oven on both coils. Bake the cookies on 180 degrees Centigrade for 10-15 minutes or till the cookies become golden in color.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Let the cookies remain on the tray for 5 minutes. Later transfer them on a wired rack for cooling.
I have used wheat flour instead of refined flour/ maida. You may use maida also.
For baking any dish please follow the correct weights and measurements with measuring cups.
Using a wooden spatula will always help.
You may increase the quantity of milk until a dropping consistency.
“Beta, meine tumhare liye, gajar ka halwa banaya hien” (well, I can’t translate this, such a funny never ending statement). This is one of the most used dialogues in almost all old hindi film. I always wonder why all the filmy moms love to prepare this for their long lost or exams passed pappus.
It’s such a quick and an easy one to prepare that anyone can make it within no time, be it filmy moms and our real ones. This is a sweet dish which is very common in India. It is prepared from ingredients which are easily available in our kitchen. Well now I know why this is a common preparation.
So, everyone “meine tumhare liye gajar ka halwa banaya hein ;)”(Everyone, I have prepared gajar ka halwa for you). Enjoy this delectable dessert and let me know if you have ever prepared this for your loved ones and said that famous dialogue yourself.
Carrot (grated) – 2 cups
Sugar – ½ cup
Milk – ½ cup
Fresh Cream/ Malai – ¼ cup
Clarified butter/ Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Cardamom Powder – 1 teaspoon
Cashew nuts and almonds –to garnish
- In a pan heat the butter. Add the grated carrot and sauté for 4-5 minutes on low flame till the natural raw smell of carrot is vanished.
- Add the milk, malai, cashew nuts, almonds and sugar and sauté well.
- Cook on low flame by stirring in between till the halwa is cooked in the milk.
- Once all the milk is absorbed by the halwa that mean s the halwa is almost done.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well. Sauté for a minute more and tehn turn off the gas.
- Let it cool and garnish with shriveled almonds.
Add dry fruits like dried raisins, pistachio, etc. according to your preference.
You may also use condensed milk to make this. Then reduce the milk and sugar quantity accordingly.
This was actually supposed to be a Choco Vanilla Swirl cake . But unfortunately the swirls are missing . It’s a mixture of one of the 2 most loved flavors. This was my treat I prepared for our wedding anniversary. It turned out beautiful and tasty.
A yummy cake that definitely added a cherry on the icing for the special day!!
Refined flour – 100 gms
Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
Butter (at room temperature) – 75 gms
Castor sugar – 100 gms
Vanilla Essence – 1 teaspoon
Eggs (at room temperature and separated) – 2
Unsweetened cocoa powder – 2 tablespoons
Milk- 3 tablespoons
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Base line a 7 inch x 6 inch x 2 inch tin with a parchment paper.
- Mix the butter and sugar. Beat it until the mixture is creamy and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites till light and creamy. Add vanilla essence to the egg yolk and whisk.
- Add the whisked egg yolk mixture to the butter and sugar mixture while continuously beating. Now add the beaten egg white. Whisk well for a minute.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and fold it into the egg mixture gently. Add the milk and mix well.
- Now transfer half the mixture in the prepared cake tin.
- Quickly add the cocoa powder to the remaining cake mixture and mix well lightly.
- Place the cocoa mixture, too, in the cake tin.
- Using a fork or a skewer lightly mix the 2 colored mixture in the tin. Do not over do or you would not get the desired swirly look. ( I guess I over did it :()
- Place it in the oven in the centre rack position and bake on 180 degrees centigrade for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once done, let it cool on a wire rack completely before seving.
Use exact measurements to make a cake.
Transfer the prepared batter immediately to the baking tin as once the baking powder is added, it starts its action. So always keep the baking tins ready according to the requirements.
Sending this cake to the Cakes and Cookies event started by Mahima of Indian Vegetarian Kitchen.
What to say about it? Loved by all and one thing I am ready to die for :P. Couple of days back at 1 a.m while watching a movie I got a super craving for chocolates. I was very sad when I found none in the kitchen :(. It was then that I decided to make these yummies!!
I am sure most of you must have faced this. So prepare this and stock your supply of chocolates.
Yesterday I prepared double the quantity that is mentioned below, gift wrapped them and gave it as Christmas gifts to my friends.
So pack, decorate and keep these as Christmas goodies and for your 1 a.m chocolate craving!!
Coco Powder (unsweetened) – 1 cup
Milk Powder – 2 cups
Sugar – 3 cups
Butter (unsalted) – 1 cup
Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
- In a pan take the sugar and add water only until the sugar level, so that the sugar is just soaked in the water. Heat it on a medium flame to make a two thread consistency.
- Add the butter and once it melts turn off the flame.
- Now add the cocoa powder, milk powder and stir rapidly so that no lumps are formed. Add the vanilla essence and stir again.
- Grease a plate with some butter and transfer the chocolate mixture on to this plate. Using a spatula spread it evenly.
- While it is still hot cut into desired shapes using a knife.
- Once cooled remove and transfer the squares in an air tight jar.
You may also make small ball shapes instead of squares. But this must be done while the mixture is hot.
Add roasted almonds, pecans, walnuts or any other dry fruits of your choice for a richer taste.
This is a very tasty recipe to include nearly all the fruits available at your local fruit vendor. Very less in artificial sweetening as the natural sweetness of the fruits gives it a yummy taste. The custard will also add a sweet flavor to the recipe.
A power packed dessert to give a your dose of fructose. A recipe you can have anytime and any day without worry of the sugar. A great way to make the kids eat all the fruits.
Milk – 500ml
Custard powder – 2 tablespoons
Sugar – 4 tablespoons
Bananas – 2
Sapodilla (Chikoo) – 2
Apples – 2
Pomegranate (shelled) – ½ cup
Sweet Lime (peeled) – 1
Orange (peeled) – 1
Pineapple (tinned) – 2 rings
Strawberries – 4 – 5
- Keep aside half bowl milk from the 500ml. In this mix the custard powder finely so that no lumps are formed.
- Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan along with the sugar on a low flame. Bring it to boil.
- Now after the milk boils add the custard powder mixture while continuously stirring the milk.
- Keep stirring and then keep aside to cool it in the refrigerator. It will thicken gradually.
- Cut all the fruits in desired shapes and sizes and transfer in a bowl.
- Now pour the cooled, thickened and chilled custard over the fruits.
- Mix gently. Serve chilled.
You can use any type of fruits you like.
I have used strawberry flavored custard powder since I couldn’t find any strawberries :(.
There are different flavored custard powders like vanilla, strawberry, raspberry, mango, etc available in the market. Try any of them for a fruitier flavor.