It’s one of my favorite breakfasts and snacks. I love bread, and this is a lovely dish. Not very spicy and with the mix of some tasty ingredients it does taste nice. You call it bread uppit, bread uppama, bread ka shira…it doesn’t matter. This is also my choice for lunch or dinner when am really bored and I want a change. And it surely works !!
So have a go at it and am sure you will (if not yet) become a fan of this yummy dish.
Sending this to the JFI- Breakfast event hosted by Suma and thanks to Indira for starting this Jihva event and the CFK- Filling breakfast event hosted by Bhagyashri of Taste buds originally started by Sharmi of Neivedyam.
Wheat bread packet – 1
Onion – 2 medium sized
Peanuts – ¼ cup
Green chilies (chopped) – 2 -3
Curry leaves – 5-6
Asafoetida – ½ teaspoon
Oil – 4 -5 teaspoons
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 ½ teaspoon
Corinader springs (chopped) – 2 tablespoons
- Using your finger tips crumble the bread slices.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, green chilies, curry leaves and chopped onions.
- Add the peanuts after 2 mins of adding chopped onion. Sauté on medium flame till the onion becomes transparent and the peanuts become little brown in color.
- Now add the crumbled bread, salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- Mix well and cook for next 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and serve hot.
You may add tomatoes instead of lemon juice.
It’s was evening 5.00 pm and I was dead tired due to a very busy day but super hungry. I was on empty stomach and was too bored to prepare anything usual. It was then that it struck me that I had a packet of vermicelli. It had been a long time that I had prepared this wonderful dish which I really love. Within a matter of 15-20 minutes, I had a delicious and healthy snack ready!!
In my childhood I used to love Maggie (instant noodles), but my mother used to always tell me to eat something healthy. She used to make this upma and used to make me happy it looked similar to my Maggie noodles. Mummy happy, tummy happy!!
Wheat vermicelli – 2 cups
Mustard seeds- ½ teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
Green chilies- 3 finely chopped
Onion (finely sliced) – 1 medium
Carrot (chopped) – ½ cup
Green Peas (shelled) – ½ cup
Capsicum (sliced) – ¼ cup
Oil – 1 ½ teaspoons
Sugar – ½ teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Water (boiling) – 3 cups
Salt – to taste
- In a pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. Let it splutter and then add the turmeric powder, green chilies, onions, carrots, green peas, capsicum and sauté well on medium flame.
- Once the onion becomes transparent add the vermicelli and sauté for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the boiling water, salt, sugar, lemon juice and mix well.
- Let it cook on a medium flame with a lid on until all the water is evaporated and the vermicelli is properly cooked.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Add as many veggies as you can to enrich the nutritional value.
You may use vermicelli made of maida i.e. refined flour but using wheat based vermicelli adds to the nutrients.