Today’s guest blogger is Radhika from Soup and Dessert, visit her wonderful blog and go through her tasty recipes.
Here is her introduction
Alright Radhika, take it away !!
Firstly many thanks to Deepa for including me in her guest blog series on Foodlyrics. I consider myself quite a novice blogger so I am definitely excited!
This guest post is a first for me. Just like blogging was back in last October when I started Soup and Dessert. Just like cooking was around nine years back when I came to the States as a graduate student. Back then cooking was more about sustenance than taste. Rice and lentils made up most of our diet. Come to think of it that might have triggered off my love for lentils. But back then lentils and I didn’t get along very well. The first time I cooked yellow dal in the pressure cooker, it looked like the surface of a land struck by severe draught. But I lived and learnt, largely assisted by meticulously detailed recipes from my Mum and instructions painstakingly explained over many international calls. Eventually I started experimenting on my own, largely fueled by my interest to recreate meals I had in restaurants, at friends places and of course from my Mum’s kitchen back in Bombay. Quest for new recipes led to discovery of food blogs and the consequent blogosphere addiction which gave me the idea of starting my own blog.
Now I am happy to say that I have found many better ways of treating lentils than my first unfortunate attempt. Such as this lentil and vegetable burger recipe that I would like to share here. But I am still learning the ropes of blogging and I know quite a few of you readers here are veteran bloggers so if there is anything you would like to share, I would love to hear from you.
I would like to sign off with this burger recipe and thank Deepa again for her wonderful idea of guest blogging!
Lentil and Vegetables burger recipe
1/2 cup green/brown lentils
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger and garlic each
1 cup shredded cabbage/carrots mixture
1/4 cup green peas
1/4 cup chopped green beans
1/2 cup shredded potato
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon chaat masala (optional – substitute with coriander/cumin powders)
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
– Boil lentils with sufficient water till tender.
– Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan and add the chopped onion, followed by ginger and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes
– Add all vegetables from cabbage/carrots through potato.
– Mix well and add salt, pepper. Cook covered till vegetables are soft.
– Mix in lentils and chaat masala. Mash well together. Mix in chopped cilantro and lemon juice.
– Refrigerate the mixture for about 15 mins to firm up.
– Use 1/2 cup measure to spoon the mixture into a patty shape.
– Either grill or pan fry with a little olive oil.
– Serve warm with tomato and lettuce on bread of your choice.
Makes 4 big burgers.
Thanks Radhika for such a nice post and a great recipe. Do send your guest post entries.