Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!! A special day for everyone who is in love. I don’t believe it has to be people who are engaged or married, but friends, family, pets anyone whom you love a lot. Well on another note, I don’t think we actually need a day to share our love and to express it as well. Confused me
Browsing through my recipe collection I dropped into the cake section (which I always do ;)) and saw this awesome cake. No butter no milk……wow that’s something I need to try. It did come out really nice. Cocoa and coffee give an awesome flavor and aroma to the cake and trust me the moment it’s bakes you can’t keep your hands, fingers, off it.
Give this wonderful cake a try and sureeeee you can’t get enough of it. This is my cake for all my blogger friends whom I love a lot…my valentines!!!!!
Refined Flour / Maida – 1 ¾ cups
Sugar – 1 ½ cups
Baking Soda – 2 teaspoons
Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
Cocoa Powder – ¾ cup
Eggs (at room temperature) – 2
Vanilla Essence – 1teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Vegetable Oil (odourless) – ½ cup
Instant coffee powder – 2 teaspoons
Boiling Water – ¾ cup
- Prepare a 12 inch baking tin by base lining with a parchment paper. Pre heat oven on 180 degree centigrade.
- In a large mixing bowl sift in refined flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt together twice and keep aside.
- Mix the coffee in the boiling water.
- In another bowl beat the eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, sugar and vanilla essence together. Mix until the sugar melts.
- Add the refined flour mixture to it and fold well. The batter will be bit thin.
- Transfer this batter to the prepared tin and place it in the centre rack position of the oven and bake it for 35 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool it for 10 minutes before transferring it to the wire rack. Cool completely.
- You may frost it, garnish it with some white chocolate or eat as is.
I used sunflower oil here. You may use any other oil.
Sometimes the cake is baked on top and not in the bottom. That time put off the top coils and let the bottom bake by keeping the bottom coils on.
I have created those hearts with whipped cream and garnished some grated white chocolate.