This is my husband’s all time favorite veggie. Personally I do not like brinjals much, but there are some recipes I can’t resist. This dish tastes excellent with bhakris. Bit on the spicy side.
Just the aroma of this veggie makes you super hungry!!
Small Brinjals/ Egg plants (washed and quartered) – 3
Potatoes (peeled, washed and quartered) – 4 medium sized
Oil – 4 tablepsoons
Dried coconut (grated) – ½ cup
Onion (sliced) -1 large sized
Goda masala – 4 teaspoons
Coriander leaves (chopped) – ¼ cup
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Red chili powder – 2 teaspoons
Asafoetida – ½ teaspoon
Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Salt- to taste
Tamarind juice – 1 tablespoon
- Roast the grated coconut till golden brown. Let it cool.
- In 2 tablespoons of oil fry the sliced onion unitl golden brown.
- Once both the things are cooled grind them together along with goda masala and coriander leaves. Add water to make it fine paste.
- In a pan heat the remaining oil. Add the mustard seeds. After they crackle add asafoetida, turmeric powder.
- Add the ground masala and sauté it for 3- 4 minutes on low flame.
- Pour some water according to the consistency of the gravy. Now add the brinjals and potatoes.
- Add tamarind juice, salt, and red chili powder. Let it cook with lid on.
- Check once the potatoes and the brinjals are cooked.
- Serve hot with rice, rotis or bhakris.