It’s was evening 5.00 pm and I was dead tired due to a very busy day but super hungry. I was on empty stomach and was too bored to prepare anything usual. It was then that it struck me that I had a packet of vermicelli. It had been a long time that I had prepared this wonderful dish which I really love. Within a matter of 15-20 minutes, I had a delicious and healthy snack ready!!
In my childhood I used to love Maggie (instant noodles), but my mother used to always tell me to eat something healthy. She used to make this upma and used to make me happy it looked similar to my Maggie noodles. Mummy happy, tummy happy!!
Wheat vermicelli – 2 cups
Mustard seeds- ½ teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
Green chilies- 3 finely chopped
Onion (finely sliced) – 1 medium
Carrot (chopped) – ½ cup
Green Peas (shelled) – ½ cup
Capsicum (sliced) – ¼ cup
Oil – 1 ½ teaspoons
Sugar – ½ teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Water (boiling) – 3 cups
Salt – to taste
- In a pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. Let it splutter and then add the turmeric powder, green chilies, onions, carrots, green peas, capsicum and sauté well on medium flame.
- Once the onion becomes transparent add the vermicelli and sauté for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the boiling water, salt, sugar, lemon juice and mix well.
- Let it cook on a medium flame with a lid on until all the water is evaporated and the vermicelli is properly cooked.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Add as many veggies as you can to enrich the nutritional value.
You may use vermicelli made of maida i.e. refined flour but using wheat based vermicelli adds to the nutrients.